- I saw the landing scene from Sully on YouTube. It was very well done. Do I really need to see any more of the film?
- I purchased a little headphone amplifier that has been quite a welcome addition to my computer. (I split the signal from the back of the box to my speakers and this amp, and then just kill speaker power when I want the phones.) I couldn’t get the phones even a little bit loud before. Now they’ll rock. The amp doesn’t seem to add any noise, either. Recommended gear. (You’ll want to add rubber or felt pads for any surface that can be marred.)
- Our (delayed) first day of Upward went swimmingly. I’m pleased that we’re off the ground. I had a blast. My church on an Upward Saturday is one of my favorite places in the world to be.
- Did you know that since 2003, the Five Flavor roll of Life Savers has been cherry, pineapple, orange, raspberry, and watermelon? The last two are supposed to be lemon and lime. Sheesh. But, if it took me 14 years to notice then my outrage must be pretty limited. (When I get Life Savers I either get a minty one or Wild Cherry.)
- When I see how enthusiastically and voraciously Nathan is exploring his “new” authors (H.P. Lovecraft, Philip K. Dick), I’m much less inclined to worry about the particulars of his screen time. I also recently learned that last fall, he read Brave New World on his own initiative.
- Some seasonal weather is forecast this time next week. Until then, it’s still pretty much March. I think I’ve had my coat on twice this winter.
- I’m trying to teach myself some new bad words so I stop saying the actual ones. I’m mixing it up. I’m using a few archaic ones and a few made-up ones. I’ll keep you posted.
The playoffs have produced especially satisfying conference championship games, and a Super Bowl in which I’m guaranteed to be interested. The Packers are one of my two favorite teams, but should their luck run out Sunday, I’ll have Julio Jones to pull for.
And the AFC game is evil vs. evil.
There are several reasons I should like the Steelers. There is a lot of great history there, with rich tradition and several true legends wearing that jersey over the years. And they tend to play football that appeals to me. They don’t bring a lot of flash; they just gut it out and hit you in the mouth. The main reason I don’t like them is that one of the biggest assholes I ever met was a huge Steelers fan, and I enjoyed considering his discontent when they would lose.
(Silly? Yes. But so is football in general.) I use the past tense because he died a few years ago. Maybe I’ll eventually get over it, now that my dislike is more force of habit than anything else.
The Patriots…well, it’s enough that they’re the Patriots.
So, it’s back-to-back semifinals next Sunday, then Super Bowl LI two weeks after that.
Then it’s the Dark Time—after football but before IndyCar.
Dear Mr. Burgess: I am writing you regarding your daughter Brandi’s recent disclosures of both her sexuality and your interactions about it. I realize this is probably not a discussion you would have preferred to have in public. However, it’s where we are, and it may ultimately be a blessing. We’ve walked a lot of the […]
Congratulations to Clemson on winning its first football national championship since 1981. I’d have rather Alabama won it, of course, but of all the teams who could have it instead, I may mind Clemson the least. I’m very happy for my long-suffering friend Cheryl! Aaron asked me last night “how long ’til IndyCar?” Too long, […]
Mom used to tell of how Gran’ma laughed and laughed the first time I made cupcakes with her. I was two. This might have been the time. Gran’ma really loved that I thought I had to lick the cake decorations to make them stick on the cupcakes. This is the kitchen in the house where […]