- Hello friend. The third season of Mr. Robot started last night. Let the record show that I am watching first-run television again (though delaying it 20 minutes to enable the zapping of commercials).
- On my way to Athens last week I noticed there is a new Blimpie next to the gas station at Gray and Browns Ferry. Seems like Blimpie tiptoed into the Huntsville market once upon a time—I believe I remember one in the plaza where Papa Gyro’s is on University—but I think they’ve been absent a good while. I don’t generally go anywhere but Firehouse when I want a sub, but maybe I’ll go try a Blimpie sometime soon.
- When was the last time you hand-wrote someone a letter? I’m thinking making an effort to do that periodically would probably be a satisfying and nourishing use of time and resources.
- Did you know that Ralph Waldo Emerson founded The Atlantic? I didn’t. I just read that this week.
- The monument honoring Judge Horton in the town square in Athens is being dedicated today. In addition to his historical significance, I’ve written before that one of Judge Horton’s sons meant a lot to me. I kind of wish I’d made an effort to be there now. I’ll go see it soon.
- Now that the boys and I watch Jeopardy! regularly, I need to check Game Show Network listings and see if I can find them an Alex Trebek-hosted show from 30 or 40 years ago. He used to have a mustache and bushy hair, remember? Pitfall would be the holy grail, but I’d take Battlestars or High Rollers.
- I am on record in multiple places, now including here, as believing the Alabama-Tennessee game will be much closer than anticipated. The Vols are 3-3. This is their season. I’m not sure we’ve seen the Tide gut one out yet like I think they’ll need to on Saturday.
This is part of an ongoing series reviewing hot wings in the Huntsville area. Visit #HsvHotWings for a comprehensive linked list.
(Original review material below that has been updated is shown in
strikethrough. New material is noted as such.)
My friend Rachel and I visited Tim’s Cajun Kitchen recently for lunch. I’ve had a lot of great meals at Tim’s—they have delectable crawfish étouffée—but I’d never tried Tim’s Famous Hot Wings, which was my aim on this trip.
Tim’s Famous Hot Wings come ten for $9.76, and there is no heat level selection. (The fries in the photograph are not included in that price.) Our server offered dressing, but when I asked she said no celery would accompany, so I passed on the bleu cheese.
2/10. My wings were reasonably sized, and snuck under that magical $1 barrier. Unfortunately, they had also suffered the substantial ravages of excessive temperature. They were burned, and easily the driest wings I’ve yet been served on this #HsvHotWings adventure. (Updated October 2017: 5/10. These were better, with an occasional, within-tolerance char mark. They were also juicier. Alas, they were rubbery in spots.)
1/10. These wings taste like smoke. There is an undercurrent of smoke. A little whisper of smoke finishes them out. There is a slight aftertaste of sweet…smoke. Really, the smokiness was absolutely overwhelming. The occasional hint of sauce I tasted seemed like it had a sweetish buffalo vibe. While well-smoked wings are delightful, these tasted about 85% of the way to a house fire. I didn’t finish them. (Updated October 2017: 4/10. The flavor is improved, but there is still nearly nothing here but smoke, and a lot of it.)
Heat: 2/10. Almost nothing here. A bit of black pepper is evident. There’s an infrequent buffalo/Louisiana red pepper wisp that vanishes so quickly, you’re left to wonder if it was a gustatory mirage.
As many fine things as I’ve eaten at Tim’s, these wings were disappointingly jarring indeed. I’m hoping this was an anomaly. I’ll put Tim’s down for a validation visit.
(Updated October 2017: On this validation visit I found a better product, but still an unambiguously mediocre one. This is just not a strong play for Tim’s. If you want smoked wings, there are much better ones a few blocks north.)
If you need something to do this weekend, I hope you’ll consider coming out to the Village of Providence Car Show, this Sunday at 1:00, right in the middle of Providence. Or, you want to register your car? You can do that for a couple more days here for $15, or for $20 on-site the […]
Me too. Really. I actually have been sexually harassed, twice that I can remember. However, neither time caused me particular angst. I think that’s because when you’re a man, it’s entirely reasonable to believe it’s an isolated incident. I said “yeah, whatever” and that was it. Mostly, women don’t have that luxury. Women can reasonably expect […]
(No spoilers.) We shouldn’t be talking about a Blade Runner sequel—not now, not then, not ever. The film generated well-known and long-lived animosity between Harrison Ford and Ridley Scott. It was a box office disappointment, barely making its own budget back. The legions of fans it has acquired over the years tend to be rabid […]