- I apologize for my reduced frequency lately. I’ve been writing less anyway, and I didn’t manage even my new “standard” this week. It’s been an unusually busy time.
- Gene Simmons says he’s charging $2,000 for his box set The Vault, and will personally deliver it to anyone who purchases it. I doubt he’ll find it practical to follow through on that. Expect additional constraints. (No, I am not a prospect for the set.)
- Last man standing at my house. Nate got sick about a week ago. Lea was next. Now Aaron has it. It’s cold symptoms with a fever; lasts about three days. I hope I don’t get it at all, but I can now without a severe hit to my schedule, so I’m thankful for that.
- Taco Bell is going to serve alcohol at up to 300 locations. Presumably the model is you drink until Taco Bell food sounds like a good idea, and then you’re already there.
- The Duluth Trading Buck Naked boxer brief acquisition is nearly complete. I’ll have a full, yearlong review underway by next week.
- I had pho tai at Viet Cuisine for lunch, and it was good, but a little off. It’s my favorite in town, but there might be an issue with consistency. Further research warranted.
- I had a nice stainless wristwatch bracelet repaired at this shop this week. It was good, prompt work at a fair price—and the repair is better than original.
- Remember when Tennessee-Florida was THE game in the first half of the season? Did they edit an ending from 20 years ago onto Saturday’s snorefest?
- If Gus Malzahn’s tenure at Auburn were a game of Combat on the old Atari 2600, the score just started flashing.
- Did you remember that Missouri won the SEC East two years in a row? Seems like a really, really long time ago now, doesn’t it? (It was 2013 and 2014.)
- Well, we’re not even to October and Ed Orgeron has already used his mulligan. It’s not necessarily embarrassing to lose to Mississippi State, but to be so listless and lose by 4+ TDs? Shameful. Had a look at the rest of LSU’s schedule? He better right this ship quickly, or .500 may be too much to hope for. Does a 5-7 or 4-8 Coach O get a second year?
- We still don’t really know how impressive Georgia’s win in South Bend was. Now State’s upcoming visit to the hedges looks like the most intriguing game of the weekend.
- Did you see Vanderbilt beat K-State? Maybe the East is anyone’s this year. (Well, except Missouri’s.)
- The hole in Alabama’s defense is not broad, but it’s deep. Pruitt and Saban are clearly trying to put some weight on the resumés of a lot of different guys ahead of conference play, and on Saturday it showed. Nevertheless, so far it’s hard to see anyone clearly challenging Alabama’s SEC dominance. Whichever Bulldogs are victorious this weekend may have the best shot.
Apple just announced a forthcoming iPhone that will cost $999. Poll results at Cult of Mac indicate almost no one is interested in the still-nice, well-featured phones positioned beneath it—which could indicate that even $999 isn’t high enough. Frank Vincent, a fine portrayer of gangsters indeed, has died at 80. RIP. Just about a month […]
I just got my second shipment from Fuego Box. Quarterly, I get three boutique hot sauces for $29.95. It’s a fantastic way to try new flavors. It’s a little higher than selecting three new sauces myself from a good shop, but there is value for me in receiving things I might not have considered on […]
I had a hard time writing a Facebook status about 9/11 today. I wanted to be accurate, but I didn’t want to invite argumentative nonsense. I finally went with Renewed anger and sadness as I remember 9/11 and its aftermath. I am sad. Almost 3,000 innocents said goodbye to their loved ones that morning for […]